Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Week 7

Thing # 16

Today I learned what wiki means. I had used Wikipedia but never had the curiosity to know how it was created and which functions it has. It is another tool that can definitely be incorporated into teaching. I visited the PBwiki for educators and librarians. I learned about wiki etiquette. One section I found extremely interesting is the one titled Online Classroom. There are many advantages to this tool. Group brainstorming, web research and community problem solving activities can be implemented. Also, a class notes section is included and polls can be created. I looked at various samples and saw the many different ways in which this tool may be used. In fact, I saw one for ESL students and it had links to games. This could be very useful for target languages. http://teflgames.com/ (just figured out how to do a link!!!)



In one of the readings, a sentence caught my attention. It said the a wiki "has an effect on language". I gave this some some thought and came to the conclusion that this comment can be related to learning and teaching language other than the maternal one. A wiki can be an excellent tool for this purpose. In a classroom setting, a wiki can also be used as a place to travel, to hear different accents of the target language, and to see the culture first hand to only name a few. A wiki can definitely can help teach and learn. I can certainly give a more global approach to teaching. Needless to say, it is a more active way to learn.



Thing # 17

I played with the Region 1 Sandbox, created a wiki, visited the site, and pasted a section on my blog. I even invited some friends to see it. (It is limited to family members. Not until I am comfortable with what I am doing will I allow "exterior" access). Upon visiting the California Curriculum Connections Wiki I corroborated what a revolutionary tool a wiki can be. All the concepts I have been learning at the workshop can be incorporated in a wiki. Activities from Flikr toys, trading cards, technorati, to name only a few can be tools that can be part of the wiki. For example, students can incorporate their own vocabulary trading cards into the wiki. As I continued to visit the site I stumbled upon the word VoiceThread. I looked into it and loved it. Check it out voicethread.com. I can visualize what a helpful tool this can be!!!! The students can have a lab a home!!! However, one assumption I am making is that all students have access to technology.

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

Another 2.0 application to try out is Animoto.